Giant Watermelon Growers Rules
- Membership fee must be paid by June 1st of each year.
- Two entries per family maximum and cared for by member. Both must be members to be eligible for prizes.
- Only 1 prize per member per year excluding sponsorship prizes and also GWG awards.
- Must weigh watermelon at GPC sanctioned site.*(See Rule 11.) The watermelon must be solid and pass inspection with no holes or soft spots and comply with GPC rules.
- Must enter yourself at weigh off or have a medical or family-type emergency to send with non-grower.
- In the event of a tie, the tying levels will be combined and split between the winners.
- Top 20 places must donate 60 seeds from winning fruit to be used for club auctions and membership seed packs. Please allow adequate time to dry seeds (at least 3 weeks) and send seeds to Bill Edwards, 14401 Verona Road, Marshall, MI 49068. Please put 2 seeds per pack with genetics.
- We welcome all growers to donate seeds from your giants for club auctions (watermelon, pumpkin, field pumpkin, squash, cantaloupe, long gourd, sunflower, cabbage, tomato).
- Prizes will be awarded based on year end GPC weigh off results.
- Prize structure will never be less than 5 places and will be posted by June 1st of each year. Club may choose to pay more places in future years. Prize amounts are subject to change based on membership, auction results and sponsorships.
- *Weigh your melon at a local or state fair or a certified digital scale company that would be in your city or state. Rules for doing this.
1. Must be weighed on certified digital scales. No old type platform scales.
2. Must have a picture taken of the melon on the scales with you beside it that can be emailed to the GWG.
3. Must have a letter or statement from director or owner that you (your name, address) did weigh your melon on their scales on that date and it was in sound condition. No rot or holes and what the weight is.
4. This letter or statement and picture will have to be sent to me (Marvin Mitchell) by mail or email by Oct 10th of that weigh-off year with NO EXCEPTION.
5. Keep in mind that weighing your melon in this way will only count in the GWG. It will not count in the GPC or be on the GPC list in Big Pumpkins.
6. I do have a non-GPC form made up with all the information needed on it. If you email me before you weigh your melon, I will email it to you and you can print it out and take it with you.
7. If you have a smart phone you can take a video of your Melon showing that there is no holes or rot on top, bottom, sides and ends.